Monday, April 12, 2010

freeware to wake up and shut down your pc at set time

From many days I was in search of some type of freeware software which would wake up my pc at specific time set by me and then again again hibernate or shutdown after certain time also set by me.
I found some (most of them were not freeware) but none of them satisfied me. One of them was quite fine but there was no option to shutdown the pc itself at specific time after wake up. So it wasn't for me.
Then, after some days I came accross not a well known software - Wake up on Standby (wosb). This is a very small standalone utility which does it's work prefect. No installation is required as I said before that it is a standalone utility. You can even set the files or programs to be ran at the time of wake up. See the screenshot below.

You can understand the interface just by reading. As you can see the first box says "specify time to wake up computer". Here you specify date and time to wake up your pc.
Next is "Specify what to do at that time". Here you tell it to run certain file/program/website or show text message, whatever you want. (other softwares check your pocket for this feature.)
Next is "Specify what to do next". You have four options 1. send into stand by mode, 2. hibernate, 3. shutdown, 4. simply wait. I choose to hibernate.
Now the final step is to tell it whether to repeat this schedule. I keep it checked to every week and all the days in week.
Note: The only limitation in this software is that it doesn't support wake up from shutdown so you have to hibernate your pc in order to make this software work.
Now click the start button and the system tray will show its icon and when you hover over the icon then shows the wake up time. Now when all this set then simply leave your pc at hibernation and it will do its work. If you don't want to wake up your pc at certain day then don't cancel it, just don't hibernate your pc but shut it down. Trust me, it will not disappoint you. I regularly use it and it's 101% spyware, malware free.

This is my review. See what it's developer says at http://www.dennisbabkin.com. At the same site you can also download it.



As the reader of this blog, you are my most important critic and commentator so go ahead and comment and if you liked my post then also subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment